This Strawberry Shortcake Mousse Cake is a masterpiece! 👌🏿Try the full recipe below from star baker Ellesse Marie Bingham of Atlanta! Post a photo of your desserts to be a Baker Spotlight!
7 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
2 1/3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/4 cup water
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup canola oil
Zest of one lemon
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Line two 9” ungreased round cake pans with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl whisk together egg yolks, water, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth. Sift in flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and gently mix to combine.
4. Place egg whites and cream of tartar to a clean large bowl (free of oils). Beat on medium-high until stiff peaks. Egg whites should not be dry.
5. Whisk in ¼ of the egg whites into the batter to lighten and then gently fold in the rest. Be sure that the batter is well combined paying close attention to the bottom of the bowl.
6. Spoon batter in two 9” ungreased round pans and bake for 30 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and cake is springy to the touch. Let cakes cool completely upside down. Once cooled, run a knife around the sides of the cake pan to release.
Ingredients/Directions for Strawberry Sauce:
450 grams/16 oz chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
3 tablespoons of water
1 3/4 cups of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoon of lemon juice
Zest of a lemon
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Blend strawberries and water until smooth. Add to a medium sauce pan with the sugar, salt, lemon juice and zest on medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat and let simmer till the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and add in vanilla. Allow to cool. (I suggest making a day ahead).
Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse Ingredients/Directions:
5 tablespoons water
3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
2 large egg whites at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Strawberry Sauce (reserve 1/4 cup)
8 oz cream cheese
¼ cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
Pour 2 tablespoons water into the bowl of a mixer and sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand for 5 minutes to bloom. Then add in egg whites and beat with whisk attachment on medium speed till foamy then increase speed and beat until soft peaks form. At the same time, place 3 tablespoons of water and sugar in to small sauce pan and cook until candy thermometer reaches 240 degrees. In a slow and steady stream, add in hot sugar syrup to egg white mixture beating till stiff peaks. Place cream in a cold medium sized bowl and beat with cold beaters at high speed until stiff peaks form. Beat cream cheese, sour cream, strawberry sauce, salt and vanilla in a separate large bowl until smooth. Gently fold in whipped cream then ¼ of egg whites to lighten the mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites till well combined.
10-15 Strawberries sliced
Sweetened whipped cream
Reserved strawberry sauce
Mint leaves (optional)
Line the sides of a 9’ spring foam pan with parchment paper 3 inches higher than the pan itself. Place one layer of cake in the bottom of the pan. Slice strawberries in half and place cut sides along the perimeter of the pan. Fill with mousse so that the strawberries are covered and mouse is leveled. Add last cake layer. Refrigerate overnight. Once set, remove from spring foam pan and remove parchment paper. Smooth sweetened whipped cream over top of the cake and decorate with reserved strawberry sauce and fresh berries.